Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dog Days


My noticeable absence from blogging and the blogospere in general, has been due to: (a) having a summer cold, (b) being preoccupied with home repair, building, and gardening outdoors, (c) I couldn’t find a reason to spend summer hours, that I didn’t have to, in front of a computer. While I was away, I noticed, from my catch-up reading, that Sandy K’s home nearly burned down, thanks, to a Florida electric company that seems as antiquated as the third world company we have in this part of the Carolinas. We’ll keep Ms. Sandy in our prayers and lift an extra one for her and her pet menagerie. I’m glad she and the critters are safe.

I also noted that David over at Dark Planet was distraught with disappointment over Barak Hussein Obama’s vote in the U.S. Senate for obliterating U.S. citizen privacy and rights. There’s one thing I’ll never have to worry about. There is no way that Obamesiah will ever disappoint me. I expect nothing from him, but the worst.

This morning when I walked out on the porch to check the weather, the temperature was 77F and the humidity was 76%. This is the south. More specifically, it’s the south beneath the Carolina moon, and it’s the beginning of dog days. The heat and humidity will only get worse from here until mid to late August. Summer though is my favorite season, no matter what.

I love it hot. I love the green of the forest, the lawns, the gardens and the blossoms of the tens of thousands of plants that bloom here in our subtropical climate. It’s just that dog days are kind of rough on some people. Personally I think dog days are a signal, to slow down and savor the delights of the season.

The drought has finally broken, which is another reason I’ve neglected both blogging and the net in general. Plants are finally growing and the earth has softened enough to dig in. I’ve worked on the rock wall out front, to wall off the neighbor, and got carried away preparing a flower and plant bed. So, I have perspired sufficiently in the last two weeks to suffice for a year. I suspect that by the time I finish, I will have perspired a small pond’s worth of water; especially, if I continue to work outdoors, gardening, for the remainder of dog days. So, I’ve thrown a small pond into my landscape plan for the rear garden.

We’ve had a hard rain with a bit of thunder and a stiff breeze today, which gave me just the excuse I wanted to take a day’s break from gardening and home repair. Tomorrow, the regular grind of work resumes. Today, I’ll rest. It’s a good way to spend a dog day Sunday.

Posted by Dread, who on this dog day afternoon, is enjoying the rain, the breeze, and very soon, the nap.

1 comment:

Sandy Kessler said...

Thank you for the prayers seriously it's rough but I'm safe - accountability nowhere. Surge that could have killed us on the spot.??oh well on to blessings if you have an email, I have a funny Obamish 2 actually sk my email is kessler.sandy@gmail.com