Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors


"Good Fences Make Good Neighbors", Robert Frost the poet quoted his neighbor in Mending Wall as saying, and mused even his neighbor's father before him. And so it seems is time for me to perhaps place a rock wall myself between my neighbor and me. If she can't mind her own fickle business, then I shall wall her out of mine. I've been collecting rocks and now, I've just about enough to get a fair height wall between my flower bed and her property out the front of the property.

It seems the neighbors to my right are a congenial and friendly sort. To the left there is trouble. So I'm going to attempt the ancient solution of putting a wall between us. I doubt it will work permanently. Walls never do. But, if it will work for a while, that shall suffice, and perhaps forestall an all out war between us.

If the wall doesn't work, then perhaps I shall try the David Letterman neighborhood relations method, of parking the trashiest, worst, grunge, junky pickup truck I can find, and make even worse, in front of my house. As long as it passes safety standards, and is insured and operable, there's not a thing anyone can do about it being in my driveway, except gripe and get their bowels in an uproar. Unsightly vehicles are not a violation of law nor the restrictive covenants of my neighborhood. Maybe the left neighbors will move if their right neighbor riles them so badly.

I'm open to suggestions. How do you rid yourself of a disagreeable neighbor? Meanwhile, I'm sharpening my chisels and masonry hammer edges, and have oiled the wheelbarrow wheel. This holiday weekend, I'll tackle the stones. I'm hoping that good fences will make good neighbors, here beneath the Carolina moon. I'd find it painful to trash out a perfectly good fishing truck.

Posted by Dread who despises ruckus and loves peace and quiet.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

what is the situation???

Jennifer said...

ok, so read the posts below. Since (if I am not mistaken) I know you live in a townhome, are their property lines drawn up?

If So I would be measuring, have a survey something that shows each's own property and explain it to the woman.

I also like the idea of a fence :)

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I have the survey, plat, photographs, etc. The woman is, (being polite here), a lunatic, who evidently is accustomed to having her way. Well, she's hit a figurative and literal rock wall with me!