Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Retort to the ......



I was wondering, if say half or better of the VT student population had been armed and all of the faculty, then how many would've been killed before the shooter was taken out? But, since guns are already outlawed on campus, I guess that's a mute question we'll never answer. So it seems the right to defend oneself against deadly force is no longer in existence in this country?

I know I'm not politically correct; never have been; never will be. "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns", seems to make perfectly logical sense as it was played out on the VT campus. What a shame that so many young lives were senselessly lost. Could it be that had a few other guns been around, besides the two the shooter possessed, then at least a few of the 33 dead would be alive today to tell of their close call and express their gratitude to those brave individuals who were armed and took out the assailant?

Why don't we ban free speech also, then speech for freedom won't be stirring up such contrarian views as I seem to have. Somewhere today, I read, "To be happy is to be free. To be free is to be brave." Then why do Americans listen to people like Hillary Clinton who tell us otherwise? Call me misguided or call me right wing; it doesn't matter. It never has and never will; not here, beneath the Carolina Moon. I've been absent for a while and come back with this. Go figure!

Dread

4 comments:

i beati said...

you are certainly allowed your opinion. I have no definitive ones at this point in our county's upheaval , but put it all out there for people to comment on- yours was great Did you read the one from England - probably 2 weeks ago. Noone gets the stellar pictures like you wow Still waiting for the divine miss?

sandyland said...

You made me wish I was back at home in Spring or in Carolinas. Do you have wild azalea there ?I long to see that again it was endangered when I was a kid . thanks for the memory trip

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Yes the wild azealia is rare. I have one in a pot that I plan to put in a nice shay place. It looks like pink honey suckle on stilts.

Anonymous said...

The thing you don't include in your argument is the cost of having a well-armed student population.

Yes, it would be nice if there had been someone to disable the gunman, perhaps using a firearm to do so.

But a campus awash in firearms, including in the dorm rooms and hands of students coming back from drunken evenings out, would create problems of its own.

You have to be sure that the cure isn't worse than the disease.