Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Who's Going to Kick the Top Off?


That humble structure in the picture above, that the girls are admiring and presumably photographing, is a fire ant hill. I love to kick the top off of fire ant hills and then, watch the scurrilous creatures scramble out in a panic ready to attack what is no longer there. They bite and snap at the air, grass, leaf stems and any object that gets in their way.

I hate getting bit by one of these little fatherless puppies, so when they appear on my lawn, I promptly dig them out and douse them with whatever the most potent insecticide I happen to have on hand is. Otherwise I tend to be environmentally friendly, and do as much as possible in a "green" way. But, to date, no one has proved to me that fire ants are an environmental necessity.

I believe that left to their own devices, fire ants would overrun the environment and through their mining operations, by bringing the sub terrain to the surface, eventually would, actually turn the world inside out. That could be disastrous! Do the world a favor, and kick the top off of a fire ant nest today. If you happen to kick it on someone you don't care for, like my next door neighbor... No. No. That wouldn't be the right thing to do, but try kicking the fire ant nest at least.

It's a fun job, and someone has to do it! Yesterday, I kicked the top off of a fire ant nest over at the Dark Planet, David Terrenoire's blog. David seems to be a dyed in the wool, liberal, and (I'm guessing) yellow dog Democrat. I on the other hand am a blurry mess of a moderate conservative. Yes the fence has hit me dead in the groin on many occasions, but I digress. I seem to have kicked the top off of a fire ant hill over on A Dark Planet. You can read it here A Dark Planet. After that, go have a great weekend, and do something constructive. Kick the top off of a fire ant hill. At least if you happen to be around here, beneath the Carolina moon.

Posted by Dread, who's made a living by pissing people off, since 1969!

3 comments:

i beati said...

I have spent soooooo much money trying to rid my yard of ants and nothing. I have tried everything.what is the answer?. Not fire ants just sugar ants. Everybody gives me these methods nothing works ?????Last night Obama saisd the exact sentence about the economy - word for word . Jon Stewart was screaming and so was I ??

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I once read about how to turn an ordinary pocket watch into an ant fighting arena, where you would fight a black ant against a red ant. It didn't seem real practical, but could have provided a one of a kind possession to sell on ebay.

Dread

Unknown said...

I have a Vulcan mini-gun that I use on them.