Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ukulele is a “U” Word on the U turn of life

The ukulele, an odd, four stringed, mini guitar like, musical instrument, such as the one held by the congressional representative below, may seem like an odd subject to blog about. But, it demonstrates a life lesson.In Google searching for ukuleles I moved from the political song and dance to the ethnic, which I remain unsure of.
I was unsure and remain unsure if the culture is Cajun, Gypsy, or perhaps Mexican? I figured the ukulele could actually have also been a Mexican instrument since stringed Mariachi bands seem to be mostly Mexican. So, I next searched for a Mexican ukulele and found:

By now I realized this wasn’t going to be a politically correct blog post, but fortunately the next pic I found was ironically (see above pic) Don Ho, (see below pic) who definately was Hawaiian.


This was the first thing in my ukulele search that made sense, and it brought me back to where my stereotypical view of the ukulele started; blue skies, blue waves, gentle breezes, fragrant flowers, hula girls, in short, paradise.

Isn’t that a typical U turn of life? We start out in paradise, and not being satisfied we devise politics, then divide into ethnicities, then develop social problems, finally escaping into entertainment, and at the end of it all we slip back into paradise; right back where we started with a song. Finally I have been able to answer the great question of generations! It may not be politically correct, but life is a ukulele!

And, that's today's point of view, from somewhere in paradise, beneath the Carolina moon.

Posted by Dread, who would like to have a cheap ukulele as a tchotski.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to love you....until you used the tchotski word (hehehe)....you know what I mean babe!

Love Always,

The Divine Miss N

Sandy Kessler said...

Anything for you - Australian (we'll search for a uke
)shepherds are rockin for sure- Here we go to the state finals Baseball!!! cheer for us at Sebring !!

Jon said...

Dread, you have some strange posts. But I like this one even more than most.

Good thoughts.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Yes I admittedly do have some strange posts. Some are intentionally strange. (If you read the blog intro and postscript at the end, its somewhat explained.) Although constructive criticism is also accepted as legal tender here, thanks for the complement!

Dread