Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Sunday, January 06, 2008

Grind This!

Locally, and I understand a lot of other places also, a tradition started a few years ago, called "The Grinding of the Trees". It’s become something of a ritual celebration, but actually is just everyone dropping off their tree to a station that grinds them up. The grinds are then allowed to season in huge piles and are given out for mulching trees and gardens. A ritual recycling, if you will.

I think its a nice tradition we've started. I hope it spreads. There are a few other things I would like to see ritually ground to bits. Understand, I'm not naming names or anything. I'm just saying...

Dread

3 comments:

i beati said...

word or phrase within a box - guess the 34 days for a prize

i beati said...

sorry 4 days not 34 hahah

Jennifer said...

So what is up with the Divine Miss N? Hasn't blogged in forever, hasn't emailed, and won't return my call... :(

My 'sweetheart' is getting big. Probably 13lbs already and is babbling. Acting SO much more advanced than a 3 month old. Am going to try and upload a video to my site.

Need to take a day trip to Chas and come see us!!!

Happy New Year!