Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

This Holloween Post Needs a Title


In the recent decade, pumpkin carving has bloomed into an art form far removed from the typical scary jack-o-lantern face with jagged teeth. I've a kit of tiny saw blades and tools myself and have carved out a few intricate creative pieces over the years. I've never carved one quiet like the one illustrated above; "Mudflap Babe", as the silhouette profile is known. However, I wanted to feature this unusual pumpkin carving here to illustrate a couple of points.

The first point being that while Mudflap Babe is a sexy silhouette, she's not as beautiful or as sexy as, the image of someone like, say Marilyn Monroe.

The Divine Miss N went as Marilyn on costume day for Halloween at work this year. It was really scary! You know why? Because, while Marilyn looked an awful lot like Miss N, she wasn't as near beautiful or as sexy as Miss N. Which brings me to my second point, but I've kind of forgotten what it was now. The beautiful Miss N tends to affect me that way.

I don't know if that's called relational logic or evolution. Oh well. I've gone from Mudflap Babe, to Marilyn Monroe, to the Divine Miss N. Maybe Darwin was right. While there seldom is logic, maybe there is evolution; at least here, beneath the Carolina moon.

1 comment:

i beati said...

my cousin sent me a photo this morning of a very ornately carved Phillies depiction with the logo on the baseball and all !!!