Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Reality; That Land Far Far Away


I’ve been around the block a few times, but eventually I found the driveway. And eventually, I found that it was always easier to find the driveway sober, so I put aside alcohol consumption. People drink to escape reality, but alcohol doesn’t provide a true escape from reality. It warps one’s perception of reality. And, people who respond to, or act out of, a warped perception of reality, eventually warp the real world in ways that are not beneficial to anyone or anything; especially themselves.

People who to some degree shape their world in ways which benefit them and others, with outcomes close to their intentions, seem to be a bit more happier and well adjusted than those who find that their efforts to shape the world tend to screw it up and make it worse. Have you ever tried to thread a needle while viewing it through a glass of gin? How did that would work for you?

I believe it was Sir Walter Scott who penned the phase, "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive” to which I would add one word, “ourselves”. I’ll be glad when the news media covering the current White House administration sobers up. They’ve already missed the driveway far too many times, and I feel like I’m a Star Trek stowaway. Its warp factor nine Scotty! She’s gonna blow Captain!
Do you know anyone who believes our news media anymore? Woops! There goes the driveway again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I drink mead myself, out of the skulls of my enemies. It's that Viking ancesrry of mine.

i beati said...

Yesterday the media is trying to destroy a little 6 year old kid and family and the GOSSElins whilst extolling the virtues of the biggest spend pres (UGH )I Hate to use that word for him- in all time. I PERsonally watch only sports now

i beati said...

now they are telling us that the economy has made a magnificent recovery and we do not need s s - pooh not here not where my famuily lives in 8 states?

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Yes the economy is making a wonderful recovery, that's why last month was the worst in history for foreclosures on homes. When I figure that one out to make sense, I'll buy that swamp you've got for sale.