Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Friday, January 01, 2010

A New Day, Month,Year, Decade & Blog Cycle


Yeah, I got a big ol'e pot of collards , seasoned with sausage, on the stove now, and I'm about to put the blackeyed peas on to cook. I think this makes a fine first dinner of the first day of the first month of the firs year of a new decade. So, I'm posting it here. I know this is a southern tradition, and particularly a Carolina one. So, tell me. What do you people from other parts of the world eat as a traditional food on New Year's Day?

Talk to me.

And Happy New Year!

Dread

2 comments:

i beati said...

you are educating me well with the blue moon info- meanwhile here all my plants even covered ones are gone- c'est la vie my veggie s surely were nice. I feel like people I knew well died not just plants..I loke the above meal for good luck at new year, but my family back in Pennsy drat Pa. eat sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and a slab or 2 of pork all cooked together..Blessings by the bundles to you and yours this new decade!!and beyond!!

Unknown said...

It looks like a little bird sitting in a plate of beans.

Looks tasty, though.