Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

By now you've heard that we are ending the first decade of the new millennium with a blue moon. No. It won't be actually blue in color. As happens every two or three years, we will have two full moons in the same month. That phenomenon is called a blue moon. You knew that, because you are older than 5 years. Still its a neat way to end the year, and the decade.

I'm not expecting anything magical to happen. There was nothing particularly magical about Y2K, which always sounded a bit vulgar to me for some reason. And, I don't anticipate anything magical exploding into existence at the stroke of midnight tonight. I have a few acquaintances in New Zealand. They will see the new year and new decade in ahead of the rest of us. If their heads don't explode, then I'll figure that we're safe. But come to think of it, I've already known a few hard drinking kiwis heads to explode.

I think I'll play it safe tonight and stay home, right here beneath the Carolina moon.

Dread

No comments: