Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Midnight In the Jungle Garden


A while back I dropped a comment about the new garden, and said I would get back to that later. Well, now is later, and that jungle pic above is the new garden. Not being a total idiot, I plan for it to be a semi natural/cultivated area. In other words, I'm going to leave a lot of the native plants and trees in place and clear the rubbish, planting more native plants and bringing in a few exotics. I plan walking paths, open areas, and sitting spots. I've already started clearing away some of the briars, brambles and kudzu. I don't have a formal drawn diagram as yet, nor a complete plan in my head, but have some ideas.

This is going to be a lot of work. It has already been a lot of work and you can't tell I've done anything yet. I figure this will be a labor of love spread out over several years. It will be like a fine wine aging, getting better with each year. Anyway, wish me luck. Any time you go up against the vine that ate the south, kudzu, you are in for a battle. That stuff grows a foot a day on poor soil with no water. On good soil with warmth and water it can grow three feet overnight. For you metric types, that's about a meter.

The ivy I plan to keep, since it is fairly easy to keep tamed and contained. There seems to be a strong colony of grey squirrels here also. As long as they leave the house alone, they will be welcomed, along with their half sized, striped cousins ,the ground squirrels.

Birds seem to love to visit and keep a songfest going from just before sun up until the last ray slips below the tree line. It's really a beautiful place just as it is, unless you are standing in the middle of it, up to your butt in kudzu and poison oak. I hope to fix that part without ruining the beautiful parts. Wish me luck. With a little luck and God's blessing, we'll have another beautiful garden, inviting to stroll either to escape the midday sun and heat or to meander through beneath the Carolina moon.

It shall be a romance garden. Gardens must be walkable by moonlight to be a romance garden. The next question is whether to name the garden now, or wait until it has a path and at least one area to sit? So what do you think? Start naming or wait?

Posted by Dread who has learned the kudzu killer's tricks.

1 comment:

i beati said...

seyeI see it in my mind's eye..