Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Summer or Not; Here I Come!


Honeysuckle vines, Magnolia and Catalpa trees, and every Tea Rose known to man are all blooming. It's the sweet breath of a Carolina summer begining. I don't know when the official first day of summer is, but magnolia blooms are enough of a sign for me to say, it's here! I feel a trip to the coast coming on!

Boys and girls can you spell R O A D T R I P ?

I wanna feel sand between my toes, and dance on the beach, beneath the Carolina moon.

I wanna smell fresh shrimp cooking, just off the boat.

I wanna feel the balmy breeze, sent from the Bahamas wafting of tropical blooms, and palm blossoms.

I wanna taste low country food, authentic and rich, with back room kitchen, family secret, ingredients.

I want local roasted coffee that is the best in the world.

I want to stand flat footed on earth that holds over 300 years of MY heritage.

Only there between the sky and the sea, and the land, and the hills, do I feel all the bloods that course my veins.

It takes a special place for a part Native American, part Scott, part Georgia convict, and part alligator, to feel at home. On the coast, beneath the Carolina moon, barefoot among the sea oats, I feel at home. Someday, I'm going to the coast and not come back until the day after doomsday!

Posted by Dread, who's charging up the digi-cam and packing shorts. More when I return.

2 comments:

Sandy Kessler said...

now I'm jealous - have a blast!!

i beati said...

Funny Quote of the Day
When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it.
Clarence Darrow
more Famous