Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Spontaneity and Planning Mesh


The world is made up of "i" dotters, "t" crossers, and then people sort of like me. I fly by the seat of the pants a great deal of the time, and when I do make plans, I usually change them at the last minute. That is, if something hasn't already happened to change them for me. Usually, that's the way it goes. The best laid plans of mice and men often... But, not this past weekend.

The spontaneous road trip to the Charleston coastal area, went smooth as silk and was marked by synchrocity. Of course I have become so accustomed to rolling with the punches, that it's hard for me to distinguish between when something goes according to plan, and when it goes off plan but isn't any trouble. When it goes off plan, or plays off plan, and is a bonus, I call it synchrocity. This weekend was a synchronous bonus!

As it turns out, Baby Davis' Dad had planned a surprise birthday party for Baby Davis' Mom for Sunday afternoon, and we were invited. What a coincidence that the Divine Miss N and I chose this weekend, just out of the blue, to pay a visit to the coast, particularly the Charleston area. There we were, with no plans that couldn't be re-juggled, so after treating ourselves to a huge breakfast bar buffet, we did a bit of shopping then, we joined the group of family and friends for lunch to wish Mrs. Davis a happy birthday.

That pic up there is Mrs. Davis having a surprise happy birthday with Baby Davis. I think Mr. Davis was busy taking more pix. He planned the whole thing, from reservations, trickery to divert his Mrs., flowers, guest list and invitations, decorations, on and on. And, then he added our spontaneous trip and presence to the plans. And so, spontaneity and planning meshed, and worked out wonderfully. But, I'm glad there are planners in this world. They give punch rollers, like the Divine Miss N and myself, a purpose, for being here. Or, maybe it's more like a challenge. Whatever! I'll take it as it comes; ever how you plan it.

Oh; and the day wasn't over yet! There was plenty of Sunday afternoon left, beneath the Carolina moon. More to come.

Posted by Dread, who figured it was time to stop writing for today.

1 comment:

i beati said...

Could he be any cuter??I doubt it .

I posted yesterday about Southern women