Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Age, That Horrible "A" Word


This guy (the one on the far right) could play George Clooney's dad in a movie, or in real life for that matter. I was searching for a pic to illustrate this post, when I was struck by the eerie likeness. George this is what you have to look forward to.

The reason I was searching for an old wrinkled guy pic was the discussion Doug Thompson started on Blue Ridge Muse (link located over there --->) under his rants listing, about how he knows he's in trouble when he hears the phrase "for your age". He was lamenting a doctor's visit and was told you are recovering well for someone your age, or "for your age." So I left Doug a little comment, and thought maybe it worthy of repeating here.

Bette Davis said, "Old age isn't for sissies!" What an understatement! You and I are the same age. (Doug and I are) I am well preserved for my age. But there again, "for my age" kicks me in the teeth.

I felt I was getting old the first time a polite kid referred to me as "sir". And, I was a bit incensed. Now, I’ve long ago become accustomed to “sir”, but "for your age", the backhand of a compliment, shadows me.

I've adopted a quote from a lady who, now passed on, was ancient when I first met her, and horribly crippled with arthritis. When asked how she was doing, she would always reply, "I'm doing fine for the shape I'm in!"

I guess that's about the best any of us can hope for. We all age, if we're fortunate, even here beneath the Carolina moon. It's hard to believe isn't it? Then again, we're all probably doing fine for the shape we're in.

Posted by Dread who hardly pays attention to joint popping noises, and gets a chuckle out of other people's reaction to them.
alphabet justice: a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

3 comments:

i beati said...

I am on the brink of another "celebrating life day" September 19- I fell this weekend and walk rather strangely- the dog is worried.I had a minor heart attack when I saw George Clooney . Give me some warning next time.Cancer took my aging process. I was doing rather well. The alternative is not so nice either. In a few days when my blog fills up, I shall be at www.SandyKLand.blogspot.com I wanted Sandyland but that was taken ..

Sandy Kessler said...

The title is Embrace Life www.sandykland.blogspot.com - probably run out by the end of the week. Having some import problems with links, etc. Come along

Sandy Kessler said...

still on old blog for another week or so .. I'll send you finals . think I'll leave the name the same change blogger site..sk