Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

March 14th and 70 plus degrees! These have been out front of the lot for a while now. I've picked a few for a vase in the house. I thought I'd share this one.

Yesterday, I visited a small town nearby to walk some wooded acreage that my employer bought. There I met a black man with an Irish tilt in his voice. When I commented about what a beautiful day it was he replied, "If God ever made a more beautiful day, he must have kept it for himself." We get more than a few of those here beneath the Carolina moon, but I'll remember that one.

Posted by Dread, before he wandered off for another hike.

2 comments:

i beati said...

great comment and photo

Unknown said...

In college I met an Asian guy with an English accent, and osme Vietnamese who only spoke French.

A bit disorienting at first.