Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Carolina Blogger Links

As if damnyankees trying to be experts on Southern cuisine isn’t bad enough, now we have geriatric strippers on American TV. SC Girly Grl gave the idea what’s for in her Thursday blog post. I to agree with her opinions on this issue. In fact, I’m at a loss for words. I sat through the first few seconds of the performance before leaving the room in disgust. Check out her post though.

The Palmetto Pundit is on vacation but has a guest blogger, Mike, of Mike’s America filling in. When I started this blog and the previous one tied to my original site, it never crossed my mind to have a guest blogger for the weeks when I was on the road or vacationing. I may try that this year, or not. We’ll see. But in the Palmetto Pundit’s case, Mike, another Carolina blogger, is doing an excellent job. And Barry still popped in with a post. Drop in and have a read.

I’ve been hunting Carolina bloggers to link here. It seems there are plenty, but few who aren’t totally whacko. I’m not talking eccentric. Heck, all Southerners are eccentric. It’s a moral obligation that comes with being Southern. I’m talking certifiable nut case, wrap’em up tight in that duct tape Bubba, he’s dangerous, whacko!

But,I am finding a few gentle souls to link, like Shannon. She’s a Floridian by birth, who’s been here beneath the Carolina moon since age 3. Her dogs are so ugly that they’re almost cute (kind of like my offspring), but the beauty of her summer plastic dish collection puts Waterford to shame. Drop by Bless Your Heart and say hello to Shannon. Shannon also tipped me to another couple of Carolina bloggers for possible links. Thanks Shannon.

Also added is Mike's America. Mentioned at the beginning of this post, Mike hails from Hilton Head, a Carolina subsidiary, and keeps an interestingly conservative eye for national and political issues. He brings a mainstream balance to our eclectic collection of links. You can’t say that Carolina is without variety and scope when it comes to personalities. The Carolina Blogger Links are becoming a well rounded collection, but a few more are needed to give it a full hand. If you have anyone to recommend, please drop me a line or just leave a post comment.

Taking the bait from Palmetto Sweetheart, I took the denominational, ritual, traditions, standards, something-or-other, test. The results were about the same as the instant diagnosis every psychiatrist that ever met me has given. Nobody’s sure exactly how to classify anyone this twisted. Actually, I found that the multiple guess format, leaves something to be desired of the test. I usually disagreed with choices A, B, and C and choice D was “Not sure”. More often than not, I was dead sure alright, but my sure answer wasn’t choice A, B, nor C, so I left unsure, even though I was sure. So I disagreed with all four answers, but wasn’t given that choice.

It felt like I was in the army. Sure, wear any color pants you want, just as long as its olive drab green. So I’m not satisfied with the test questions, but I can’t argue with the results. If Voodun and Rastafarianism had been on the list, no doubt I would have scored high on those too. It seems I just score high for religion, even if I do mark “not sure” more than a pole trailing politician. Isn’t it strange how politicians strongly support religion in an unofficial generic way?

Anywho, I’ve posted my scores below. Drop by Palmetto Sweetheart and follow her links to see where you come out. As you can see, all those psychiatrists were right about me, or darn close. I’ve not shot anyone lately, and am not being medicated, nor indicted. But… probably enough said. Go take the quick little test. It won’t kill you, unless you’re Presbyterian, and I don’t have time or space to explain that issue. Just take my word for it. I won’t be judgmental of you if you won’t be judgmental of me.

(100%) 1: Anabaptist (Mennonite/Quaker etc.)
(100%) 2: Pentecostal/Charismatic/Assemblies of God
(97%) 3: Eastern Orthodox
(88%) 4: Anglican/Episcopal/Church of England
(88%) 5: Methodist/Wesleyan/Nazarene
(79%) 6: Seventh-Day Adventist
(76%) 7: Congregational/United Church of Christ
(70%) 8: Lutheran
(70%) 9: Roman Catholic
(58%) 10: Baptist (non-Calvinistic)/Plymouth Brethren/Fundamentalist
(55%) 11: Presbyterian/Reformed
(47%) 12: Baptist (Reformed/Particular/Calvinistic
(29%) 13: Church of Christ/Campbellite


If happy little blue birds fly beyond the rainbow then why oh why can’t I? Because the freaking blue birds don’t fly beyond the rainbow, and to start with, you don’t have wings Dorothy! The blackberries are ripening. Get a bucket, watch for snakes, and don’t come home with a head full of ticks! No, I’m not coming with you. I picked my share of blackberries before age 12. From age 12 to 18 I picked plums. From 18 to whenever, just never mind. Suffice to say, you can have gray hair and still be reaping wild oats. So mind you Clifford, stick with picking blackberries. At least the stain they leave on your hands is an honest stain.

Do I plan to explain the above paragraph? Nope. But, I figure that I’ve accomplished enough grouching here over the last three posts and need to make a 180 with my attitude. So, from here forward, I’ll try to only have positive stuff. We’ll see how long that will last. Anyone want to start an office pool?

This could be one of those summers that never ends. It wouldn’t be the first, nor would it be the last. Let’s redecorate the patio and let winter worry on its own. That’s just the way it goes here in the deep South. Nothing is ever quiet logical, nor 100% real here beneath the Carolina moon, even when it is.

Dread

No comments: