Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Wenches, Wars and Wreck are "W" Words



I saw Pirates of the Caribbean III last weekender and it amazed me. The FX were way past my expectations. Even though I didn't consider it to be suitable for young children, the very real life theme of the good guy falling into sailors' purgatory, whilst the drunken pirate captain makes out like the bandit he is, probably teaches our children what real life is actually like.

The first twenty five to thirty years of life are about rum, wenches and song, then someone will declare war on you just to try to become a big shot. No matter whether you win the war or not, or whether along the way you meet a wench who turns out to be a special woman, anyone who sails the seas of life never makes it to a permanent shore.

Life ain't fair. That's not a complaint, just a statement of fact. In the end, both the good guys and the bad, if indeed there are such things, slip beneath the waves, bash upon the rocks, rip apart on the reef, or take a cannon ball below the water line. We're headed for a wreck the day we set sail out of harbor. That's not a complaint either. There's a life of adventure riding with each wave, and a massive sea out there to hoist your sails over. Real life's FX can be pretty amazing too! I hope to visit a few more ports before I meet with that inevitable wreck.

I've survived rum and wenches, sea witches and wars, and am having a grand adventure. I've still got dry powder left to fight a few more wars too if need be. No more wenches needed though. I've a good woman that I want to sail to sunny balmy places with. A plotted course toward a paradise beach, a stiff favorable breeze to fill the sails, and a good woman by my side; the wreck will come in its own due time. Until then, yo ho!


Dread


1 comment:

sandyland said...

by the way I loved Pirates also and Johnny Depp has enterd my list of classic actors who take a chance- Amen on that comparison.