Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Yes (which is a “Y” word) I skipped Y


Yes (<-There! A Y!), that is Benjamin Franklin. Why(<-oh another Y!) do I have Ben as today’s illustration? I’ll get to that; sort of. Why (<-notice another y) did I skip Y (<-there it is again) in my flow through the alphabet? Ah well, it could have been missed medication. It could have been eagerness to be done with that pass of the alphabet. It could have been I thought Y (<-yes, there it is again) is a yucky (<-Oh! Doubles!) letter, and one of my least favorite in the whole alphabet. Y(<-Okay, I’m getting tired of pointing these out) is used to spell YELLOW, which is the designated yucky and puke like color of the palate. I have my own theories about how yellow came into being, and I don’t really think God created that one. Its just an evil color. You might guess that I have a history with yellow that prejudices me against it. You would be right. I’m not going to discuss it here though. I get nauseated thinking about it even momentarily. I doubt you want me to transfer that nausea to words for you to read and plant into you own head, so let’s just skip it. Instead I’ll plug in something else here today.

Since I finished the alphabet with the last post, and began a new post which ground rules I laid down say there are no rules, I’ve decided to mention the Y, which I did already, and mention Bob Wallace who sometimes writes on “The Sudden Curve”. Which is a strange blog I visit with some sporadic regularity. If you find the phrase “sporadic regularity” a bit oxymoronish and confusing, you should read what Bob writes on his other site (I dare not call it a blog). The Bob Circus 3.0 has a collection of his writings which, although I haven’t read all of them nor even a sufficient sample to offer a credible critique, I find to be somewhat less rambling than my pastor’s sermons and at least near as wise and useful. Similar to my pastor’s Sunday sermons, but not quiet as lengthy, his writings often ramble for two pages before he makes a one sentence statement that says it all. Both pastor’s sermons and Bob’s writings are usually worth wading through to get to that sentence though, and usually provide an entertaining path to that sentence and back.

I am a firm believer that the wisest and most meaningful things ever said were said in three sentences or less. I’ve read nothing to prove me wrong in that perspective. Today I read on The Bob Circus, “Benjamin Franklin was absolutely correct when he wrote, "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." And they'll lose both liberty and safety.” Now Bob quotes Ben Franklin, a man known for wisdom, which in my unhumble opinion, was a very wise thing to do, then injects his on conclusion. I happen to agree, with both Ben and Bob.

I’ve exercised my liberty to skip the Y, and then again to put it up there today. I don’t want to bother with putting links in to The Sudden Curve or The Bob Circus 3.0, so you’ll just have to hunt for them if you want to have a read. That’s another neat thing about liberty, you have the liberty to do, AND the liberty to not do; at least you do here beneath the Carolina moon.


Dread

1 comment:

Sandy Kessler said...

Thanks for the blue ridge tip.I've hiked there and will love it - always looking for other blogs like Bob circus etc.thanks- Yellow makes me regurgitate aussi..