Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Red Tail Raptor


I caught this majestic bird that sometimes soars at over 3,000 feet in altitude, coming to rest on a flag pole in the middle of a cemetery. I was on my way home from work when I spotted the huge Red Tail Hawk gliding to this perch. I pulled the car into the cemetery drive, parked directly beneath the flag pole, and took a few shots. He/she kept turning his/her head (hard to tell with this species) but I finally managed to get this classic shot. A magic moment in a magic place; beneath the Carolina moon.

Posted by Dread, who has been busy and a bit distracted.

5 comments:

i beati said...

My friend's name is raptor on line because of his admiration for the bird.

I too am near bankruptcy from cancer 3 unsuccessful surgeries. My claim here is it seems to be picking up speed as is Alzeimers??

What do you mean by space is a vacuum??Did not understand.. I just wonder about it all. Seems to be rampant. Some claim , it's something in air or water system.I actually had a Dr. smilingly tell me in the hospital last summer"You are never cured of it , it is always there."which I felt was kind of eerily smug of him...

i beati said...

have you oohed and ahhed at the moons on Blueridge muse? and Did the sweethaeart give birth to a sweetheart?that little ultra sound face lives in the back of my mind...

I hope I did not offend you with my cancer ramblings - lost 2 relatives this month and have been teary....I don't discount anyone who works feverishly for a cure believe me, I still give a scant amt to the cause and join the relays for life. I guess my real discord comes at monies for war when there is such suffering, that's only a lash out I'm sure on all days I feel very empathetic and blessed.Many people do not know how I live in such a lackluster state of health.

Jennifer said...

baby still has not arrived. Don't forget today is Divine Miss N's day to turn another year!

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Awaiting news of an arrival and celebrating the divine Miss N's b'day... Space... outer space... no atmosphere... I forget exactly why its that way (laws of physics I suppose) but I always blame it on one lamer or another; mostly politicians. Mrs. Kessler pointed out to me that Doug Thompson journalist/photographer/philosopherover at Blue Ridge Muse (link over there ---->) has had some fantastic moon shots lately. I reccommend a tour of this photo journals. They are a nice slice of the south; not the Carolinas, but part of the south no less.

i beati said...

I love that that's where I'm sending all my blame now - politicians- I wish I had your techno whiz.