Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Three Things Certain; Taxes, the Flu, and Spring Azaleas


After wrangling with the IRS forms and writing Uncle Sam a fat check, I succumbed to a variant of the flu virus. It didn't kill me but it has left me feeling tired and weak. For the last two weeks I have constantly felt like I needed to go to sleep. I realized that I was missing the opportunity to photograph one of the most beautiful spring time cities of the south. So, as a small consolation, earlier this week, I took the digi cam from the office and rode around the immediate neighborhood and took a few snaps. I'll feature those here over the next few days.

I'm trying very very hard to stay away from politics and stick with the beautiful things here beneath the Carolina moon. Speaking of beautiful things; baby Davis with parents in tow is due for a visit to the upstate this weekender. Maybe I'll get pix.

Taxes didn't kill me. The flu didn't kill me. Azaleas are making life look up, and now a visit from the Davis clan. Life is good and looking up, here beneath the Carolina moon.

Posted by Dread, before leaving for work.

1 comment:

Sandy Kessler said...

You certainly live in the azalea state . I remember always coming through South Carolina where they seemed bigger and more bloomescent(made up word)than any where else and there's that anti bellum architecture too. Flu me aussi and now I'm like a Spring cleaning dynamo - NOt but I try. Embrace it all !!