Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Flying is an "F" Word

Granny Glickman flying in her plane

And zipping around in her red Mustang


So, don’t give up on your life too soon

Life can be good beneath the Carolina moon





Do you remember as a child having heroes who could fly? There are some of us who still do. Terri Glickman is a real person, and an inspiration for the rest of us who have crossed the 50 yard line of life, but not a complete oddity to be found only beneath the Carolina moon.

I feel a road trip coming on soon. Time to file a flight plan for the Gray Ghost, or GG as I call her. GG is my own 2004&1/2, 40th anniversary, Stang. Perhaps I’ll run the filly’s photo here one day soon.

Some say that freedom can only be felt with the wind full in your face. Others feel the freedom of flying in everyday living and loving in faith. I haven't figured out how to capture that completely with a single photograph, but I suspect it is best captured where a soul is lifted to joy.

Posted by Dread who sometimes listens for the difference between the whoosh of the eagle's wings and the whisper of the angel's wings.


2 comments:

SC GirlyGrl said...

Road Trip! To where? I'm packing my bags....*can I come*?

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I wouldn't leave home without you!
;)