Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

ITSNOT WHAT YOU THINK!



No today's post is not going to be what you think! I actually had a lesson come to me today, just out of a "seat of the pants" reply that I made to a passenger I was sharing an elevator ride with. I hope to pass it along here, and rest assured, it's not anything about snot. That was just the gimmick to get your attention, and a reflection of how I feel the world has been treating me and a lot of good people lately. But let's get to the lesson, shall we?

On my way to my office this morning, as I got on the elevator an elderly lady was already occupying the car. As the door closed, and I suppose I had mumbled good morning to her, she asked me, "Is the world treating you good?"

Without hesitation I replied, "No!", but then added,with reassurance I hope, "But, the good Lord is!". She looked at me strangely, then as she exited the car, mumbled something about having pains but just keep going anyway.

It was later in the day when I realized the lesson in what I had said myself. No matter what the world does to us, God is always there for us and has our back. How reassuring. No wonder I felt so happy and upbeat at the very moment I was indicating that the world indeed was not treating me good. God can be good to us and bring us joys in ways that the worldly can't imagine. His strength and His love can stand us against the harshest storms of this world.

The next time someone asks you how life is treating you or how the world is treating you, think about it. Does it matter as long as God is treating you good? That's really what counts. That's what matters. The world can have it's way. God will have His, even in places that are far removed from the Carolina moon.

So in the face of a world, that is right now not treating me, nor a lot of people I care greatly for, in a nice way, I say world watch out. God is still in charge, and He is treating me good!

Dread

No comments: