Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Monday, August 07, 2006

A New Day


Each new day begins with a sunrise. The picture is sunrise from Carolina Beach on Pleasure Island, North Carolina. There was a time when I carried a great fondness for this place. Now, it's just a place from my past.

Some mornings it’s just not worth chewing through the leather straps. But today, after a weekend of posting cynicism, and happy anger, I figured it could be worth the effort, so here I am.


Today’s quote is from Kahlil Gibran:
“It is wrong to think that love comes from long companionship and persevering courtship. Love is the offspring of spiritual affinity and unless that affinity is created in a moment, it will not be created for years or even generations.”

Today I hope, I love, and I reach for faith. And all any of us can do is have faith, hold hope, and love, even here in this magical place, beneath the Carolina moon.

Dread

No comments: