Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sometimes



We all have days that we should be wearing this shirt, or one similar. I didn't buy this shirt, because for one, I HOPE I don't have too many of those days. For another thing, I didn't want to invite an opportunity to wear it. Today however I could be wearing it as underwear. I'm having a very sad day, and still trying to focus on the ultimate good of God and the ultimate good he will work from our lives, regardless of the in-between ups and downs of life and the stings and arrows of the world.

Right now, I am "some where I have never been." So are some other's that I care about deeply. It's difficult. Am I confident about working through all this? "Sometimes I am."

Yes, the rhythm of life is passionate and beautiful, and plays out in spectacularly wonderful ways at times. It also has deep dark under currents that sometimes reach from beneath the surface and pull you to places you don't want to be. That's when we cling to our strained faith, and pray for more and stronger faith, and the grace to bring us through.

When I found this shirt it didn't make sense. Now it does. Such is life, beneath the Carolina moon.

Dread

No comments: