Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Our Gift

This mountain pictured from my mother's back yard was created eons ago. I wrote this following piece in April, and don’t recall if I ever shared it. How odd that I wouldn’t remember, but then my head hasn’t quiet been the same since my heart was opened. Today I share the ancient mountain, and this recent musing. How ageless they can both be.


Our Gift


The most precious possession I had, I packaged in the only wrapping that I had. I offered it to her with every earnest fiber of my being. She accepted my gift graciously. Unwrapping it slowly, she marveled its nature. She held it gently, examined it, and then clutching it to her bosom, declared it would now be her most precious possession. I was overjoyed that she accepted my gift. I was thrilled even more that she wanted it as much as I wanted her to have it. "But wait", she said, "I have something also for you."

She looked into my eyes and offered me the package she had wrapped. I held it trembling in anticipation. I dared not hope what it contained. In the gentlest manner I could muster, I slowly opened the wrapping, and was overwhelmed to find her most precious possession. I held it to my bosom and knew that it would surpass what I was giving, and that it truly would be my most precious possession.

As we embraced, our gifts were brought together between us, and when we released each other, we found they had swallowed each unto the other and had become one. Now and forever, we will share our most precious gift. We share our love.


I hope you will have a nice day. My day will be spent here in the beautiful Carolina, with all it's joys, sorrows, singing spirits, and woeful losses. The rhythms of life beat strong here, and subtly, and loud, and softly; and each nuance carries the whisper of a dream, stirring the heartfelt passions that are the ethereal southern essence found only here, beneath the Carolina moon.

Today life will not be easy, nor my path clear. But God will provide what is needed for today. His Son will provide forgiveness of my trespasses and His Holy Spirit will point the way.

PS: Today is a FULL MOON. Watch out!

Dread

No comments: