Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

After Labor Day Blues

Labor Day is a rough holiday. Not only is summer coming to an end, (depressing enough) but it just comes at a time when... well I just won't get into all of that. Still, I try. I really try to make each day something good, special, and a positive contribution, despite all that has been, and is, going on that works to the contrary.

Then one morning, you get out of bed after tossing and turning a half slept night, stumble to the bathroom, and stagger down the hall to the kitchen in search of that first cup of coffee. You know that cup of coffee. It's the one that will course through your veins like a shot of heroin, rejuvenating your grogged brain and half numb body.

You start the water heating, then open the cabinet to pull down the jar of instant, and you encounter this:



Hey, what the heck? At least it's friendly. We've had babies born in our family that were pretty much that homely. And, after an encounter like that, what could possibly happen at work that would seem so bad?

Okay, that thing (a baby lemur) really wasn't in my cabinet. But it could have been, and.... stranger things happen here beneath the Carolina moon. Believe me! The point is, we all have stuff that seems frightening, until we understand it for what it really is, then, imaginary or real, we just deal with it. Then we make the best of the life God gave us.

I know this post possibly won't make sense to many of you who read it. Take my word for it. SOME DAY IT WILL! And when it does, it will be the end of your summer, and the beginning of your mixed seasons. Now THAT'S something scary for you to think about! Don't worry, that too will pass.

You see, I love summer and hate winter. Well, actually I hate cold. So every year I get the after Labor Day blues. I am trying my damnedest to avoid that this year. I have reasons enough to stay happy; not the least of which is being loved. (Fantastically loved in fact!) But that's another post. Today, I'm good! I'm really good. I hope you have a happy, post Labor Day, week.

Dread

No comments: