Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Remarkable is and “R” Word


Once again I’ve read over all the “Blogs of Note” on the Blogger front page. The last time I did that I found Three Beautiful Things, which was in reality the only blog of note that day, and has been ever since. I linked Three Beautiful Things here and still read it every day. Today’s Blogs of note, truly aren’t, at least in my book. A blog of note should be truly remarkable, like Three Beautiful Things. Why would a bad or sorry blog, a boring one at the very best, be called a blog of note?

But then, we all have good days and bad days. I think the difference is some people just take whatever kind of day they are handed and make it a remarkable day on almost every day. These are remarkable people, and they make life better for the remainder of us. I’m glad we have them sprinkled about here and there. I don’t consider myself remarkable, but I do consider myself fortunate to know many remarkable people. They make my life remarkable. If you are one of them, thank you! You probably don’t realize who you are, but thank you anyway.

The pic today is of a magnolia blossom. The magnolia tree, except for its giant sweet scented blossoms, is an unremarkable tree. But taken as a whole with its heady scented blossoms, it becomes a remarkable symbol of the deep south. All in all, it’s a rather remarkable place to live, here beneath the Carolina moon.

Posted by Dread, who lately has had days, which weren’t bad. Given the recent months’ track record, that’s pretty remarkable.

No comments: