Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

I'm Bored, Let's Go for a Ride



Keeping my promise to myself, to use more “visuals” in my posts, the one I’ve included today has no bearing, illustration or relationship to today’s post, other than it’s obvious relativity to the term “redneck”. A certain 1969 Dodge Charger RT did figure into the lives of people who were my close friends once, and a distant cousin. However, those are stories for a rainy day. For sure, they deserve to be written down some place and preserved for descending generations; just not here, today. After all, this is a blog, not a book. And we are trying very hard to maintain family values here.

Keeping my promise to post occasional quotes about whatever, here's a couple from Mary K. Witte's book, "Redneck Haiku":

Wedding night fireworks
as Flo's ex-husband threatens
to bring back the kids.

and...

Betty Lou surprised
to learn you can get pregnant
in a church parking lot.

Hey, at first, I didn’t think much of them either. But then, I considered the reflected juxtaposing irony and how that same irony so defines the tragic magic that cripples the southern psyche. Once you get past the intended superficial belittlement of the stereotyped culture, there’s a quiet brilliance in each one. And yeah, I’m full of it! So post your own haiku. Then, head over to SC Girly Grl’s and browse through her post on Lucky Women.

Dread

No comments: