Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Time Out

While we are taking a little time out from the more serious blogging, I thought it a good time to remember how pictures enhance and illustrate the words we pull together to convey what we want to express. I also though how well sometimes words give meaning and fun to a picture or create the drama or explanation for the scene depicted. Sometimes words alone are enough and sometimes a picture alone is enough. Sometimes neither is enough, and while the picture leaves you intrigued, words of explanation, or even a title, would just detract. This is one of those pictures. It's just neat all by itself.


Remember this guy? Some of you may even remember his friend. Neither has anything to do with anything beneath the Carolina Moon. However, you might just find that some of the characteristics of each aren't that uncommon here. So now, just maybe you know a smidgen little more of what its like to live beneath the Carolina moon.

Dread

4 comments:

Sandy Kessler said...

you are correct of course.. i loved this guy

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Yes, Koko loved to watch Mr. Rogers on TV just like other kids! Facinating I think.

Sandy Kessler said...

There is a big difference btween the crimson necked kind and a true genteel Southerner I do believe at least here. I used to have everything Lewis Grizzard wrote loaned them and never saw them again.I love him and was always pulling for him to find the right lady. Yes I always thought Kudzu's guy looked like a young Carter. I always loved how the vines in the comic encased the mail box and all and the next day went even further ..Both special men and Marlette was so good to the young of the Carolinas and Mississippi where I guess he passed on..Time to go see smiling ultra sound baby sk

Sandy Kessler said...

Everytime I view Blue Ridge I think I'm there. What a superb photographer!!thanks for leading me to his work ..love it