Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Blessed

Those who know me well, know I despise cold weather. Cold hurts, it cuts, it just feels cruel, lacks warmth, robs life and is generally a quality of death. Winter is cold, bleak, dark and dreary. Stuff dies in winter. Therefore I generally despise winter. It makes life rough, hard to survive, and generally is a downer. But enough about the bad stuff. The warmth of the Southern sun has been growing for some weeks now and will continue. Spring brought with it an optimism that pulled me out of my winter of discontent, and now, I am ready for a season of warmth and brightness. With any luck, its here! I am certainly ready for it! For some reason, I can easily imagine that the fruits of my summers past will never match the fruits of this season about to unfold.

This area of the South where I live is known for, among other things, the annual peach crop. Depending on who you ask about the taste of a fresh off the tree peach, it may be judged as either tart, or sweet. It seems life is that way too. The same circumstances can be judged by two different people just as opposingly. Life changing circumstances are often how we choose to view them; as an emerging opportunity, or as the end of life as we have known it. Is it all in our perspective, attitude, and belief? Simply put, no. But, those do make a difference. The conviction of faith, and Divine guidance will fill out most of the rest. But then, there always remains that little part that God surprises us with, just to keep it all interesting I suppose.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but all I know is, I have seen two people subjected to the exact same life circumstances and changes, and one of them considered their life totally wrecked, and the other considered their life blessed. I am looking forward to a blessed summer. I hope you are too.