Breath our scents, walk our landscape, hear our melodic dialects, delight in our savory morsels, touch each rich texture, and the southern essence remains a mystery. The ethereal south, unfathomable to the five senses, lives in the heart. If you believe in magic, and can survive the devastating passions of an open heart, just possibly, you stand a chance of living a moment as a southerner. Most people aren't brave enough to be southerners, even the ones that are.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Reflection

I was tempted to take down Saturday's post after reading over it last night. To me it seems the most rambling disconnect that I've ever written. That probably says something of my mental state coming off of the past week. What a horrible eye opening experience that week was.

Tom Wolf was right. You can't go home again. The building I work in was my work home for many years, then I left to work elsewhere. Yet, after returning there to work, almost two years ago, it has never been the same as it was the first time, and can't be. It's been like leaving a ship as a sailor, and returning as an admiral. Which puts Wolf's philosophy into a frame for me. To me what Wolf is saying is that the clock doesn't click backward for any of us. It doesn't stand still, and once the page of the calendar is flipped you can't turn it back; not that I would want to. I wouldn't.

If we look at our lives with an eye for what holds meaning and value for us, the saying, "Home is where the heart is.", rings very true. And, so does the saying, "A house does not make a home." Currently my heart has found a home, and its not in a house. Its not in a building at all. The home of my heart is within the heart of the one whose heart lives within mine. Unless you are mutually in love with someone, that statement likely confuses you. My heart has found its home and that home, that sweet, sweet, heart, has found its home in my heart. What sweet bliss we have found as our hearts share this new place that was formed as they joined to make a home for both!

The scientist marvels at the earth's creation, the stars, and the universe, and knows that there is a God. I marvel that two souls created apart by time and space, find their paths to each other, and then join in a spiritual completion to become a new and greater creation, and I know there is a God, and that His plan is as vast as the universe, and as minute as an electron, and as intimate as my own thoughts. I am awed by each moment of existence as each moment is unveiled. That I am, my love is, and that each of us can be, a part of that vast harmonic plan, is awesome.

As one of my favorite authors, Og Mandino would say, "I greet this day with love in my heart!"

The clock beckons and I must go. Until next time...